Re: 1 Cor 11:2-16

kdlitwak (kdlitwak@concentric.net)
Thu, 03 Jul 1997 10:05:50 -0700

If you look at various parallels, such as in the APocalypse or Mark
2 (Jesus has authority on earth) you won't find an example that equals
the metonymy theory. Paul doesn't say it's a sign of autority and the
following verses don't talk about any such thing. Paul simply says the
woman has authority over or regarding her head. You have to read in
"sign of" into this construct. Look at other NT occurences and you will
see a similar pattern.

Ken Litwak