Re: EIS TO + Infinitive

Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:41:52 -0400

At 10:27 PM -0400 7/2/97, BillCombs@aol.com wrote:
>I have a question about the EIS TO + Infinitive construction in 2 Thess 2:2
>(actually two infinitives). Could (should?) not this be considered an
>indirect discourse use of the infinitive after ERWTWMEN in v. 1? An
>Accordance search suggests four other possible use of EIS TO followed by the
>infinitive to indicate indirect discourse: Acts 13:42; 1 Thess 2:12; 1 Thess
>3:10; and, possibly, Rom 4:18, though I believe this would change the normal
>understanding of this verse.

Unless one wants to make fundamental changes in the terminology of Greek
grammar (something that appears to me NT Greek grammarians are ready to do
in a flash), I think one ought to maintain a sharp distinction between any
articular infinitive construction and an infinitive with subject accusative
with a verb of saying. In 2 Thess 2:2 we have an articular infinitive
construction in which TO MH SALEUQHNAI hUMAS APO TOU NOOS MHDE QROEISQAI is
NOT an object of ERWTWMEN but rather of EIS; EIS + articular infinitive may
indicate either result or purpose. In the present instance I can see no
relationship between EIS TO ... QROEISQAI and ERWTWMEN other than purpose:
"I am inquiring ... so that you may not be quickly shaken ... etc."

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243