Re: Mark 7:19 - He Declared All Foods Clean

John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Mon, 07 Jul 1997 17:35:01 +0000

Hawkins, Mike wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Thank you for answering my initial question so well. However, you
> answered what I asked, not what I meant to ask. So please forgive me and
> let me rephrase my question.
>
> I will agree that the phrase KAQARIZWN PANTA TA BRWMATA (making clean
> all foods) is in the MSS. However, why do translators insert the phrase
> "Thus he declared" [NASB, NWT] or "In saying this, Jesus declared ..."
> [NIV] since this is not in the text? I am sure that translators have
> their reasons. Does anyone know what those reasons are, as opposed to
> just leaving it "cleansing all food?"

SNIP

Mike,

Here is Robertson's comment from his Word Pictures. "This anacoluthon
can be understood by repeating he says (legei) from verse #18|. The
masculine participle agrees with Jesus, the speaker."
Makes sense to me.

John M. Moe