Re: Mark 7:19 - He Declared All Foods Clean

Mark Goodacre (goodacms@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:17:48 GMT

Mike Hawkins wrote:

> I am perplexed as to why the Mark 7:19 expression "he declared all
> things clean" is not in some /most versions of the bible but it is
> in others. A friend showed me the expression in the Westcott and
> Hort Greek Text but I have limited research material to investigate
> further. He recommended I ask you.

There was actually some discussion of this on the list instigated by
me earlier this year. If you have access to the archives, you would
be able to find it under Mark 7.19.

Briefly, to summarise my own contribution, I shared the perplexity
about the near-universal modern translation 'Thus he declared . . .'
Carl Conrad helpfully pointed out that older versions like the KJV
were dependent on the reading KAQARIZON (neuter ptcp.) but that the
better reading is KAQARIZWN (masc. ptcp.). KAQARIZWN would clearly
agree with Jesus as subject right at the beginning of v. 18, and the
gist is then as follows:

'He says to them (cleansing all foods), "Are you likewise without
understanding . . ."

KAQARIZWN PANTA TA BRWMATA thus becomes a clarifying addition, and
the translation 'he declared all foods clean' broadly correct.

However, I feel a little unhappy with this for a couple of reasons:

1. 'Thus he declared' is much too strong. It gives quite the wrong
impression about the force of this little clause. Though it does
seem to be in line broadly with Mark's theology, we should be wary of
over-translation.

2. KAI LEGEI . . . at the beginning of v. 18 is a long way away from
KAQARIZWN. It is possible, therefore, that the clause in question is
a case of Markan anacolouthon, viz. a loose or broken-off structure,
in which case we may well be intended to take 'cleansing all foods'
as appearing still as part of Jesus' speech, and not introducing
editorial comment on it.

Good wishes,

Mark.

PS Apologies to all for sending my message on Luke 11.4 yesterday a
second time. As has been pointed out to me, this rather neutralises
my own complaint about clogged-up mail-boxes! I repent!

Dr Mark Goodacre
Department of Theology
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston