Re: SIGATW in 1 Cor 14:34

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Tue, 08 Jul 1997 18:24:34 EDT

Carl, Jonathan:

You give the impression, Carl, that you think this dialogue was sent to
the b-greek list. I can see how you thought that, since I addressed it
to Jonathan and Charles, and you got it as well. Actually, to my
understanding this entire discussion was private and was not being sent
to the whole list. Apparently it must have started between Jonathan,
Carl and myself, then died out, then somehow was renewed between
Jonathan, Charles and me. I thought my response was being sent to
Jonathan and Charles, hence my address. I would never have sent it to
you, Carl, since you had already made it clear to me in private how you
felt. So, please accept my apologies. But, I will respond to what you
said below.

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997 06:58:21 -0400 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:

snip

>while Paul on the other hand insists that (a) one may not legitimately
>assume any proposition that is not explicitly stated, and (b) the
>inner
>consistency of scripture rules out any likelihood that the apostle DID
>approve of women praying and prophesying in the congregation. Have I
>misunderstood these two stances being taken in this discussion?

Yes, (a) should read, "one may not legitimately assume any proposition
that is not explicitly stated, NOR LOGICALLY IMPLIED." Also, (b) should
read something like, "If other scriptures neither prescribe, nor condone
women praying or prophesying in the assembly, and if Paul neither
explicitly says so here, nor logically implies it, then neither we should
infer it. On the other hand, if the internal consistency of scripture is
not important to us, then none of this matters, and we can come up with
whatever interpretation feels good to us."

>honestly
>hope not, because I think I have read both of them repeatedly. I also
>think
>it is evident that both parties to this discussion are approaching
>this
>matter with assumptions about the nature of the Biblical text that are
>at
>odds with each other--but while it is impossible for any of us to
>confront
>any Biblical text without assumptions as well as deep convictions
>regarding
>the nature of the Biblical text, those assumptions themselves are NOT
>the
>proper focus of discussion here. I think it is quite appropriate that
>those
>assumptions and convictions be frankly admitted "up front" when an
>exchange
>such as this one continues, but I don't think that this is the
>appropriate
>forum to carry on a discussion about the validity or non-validity of
>any
>list-member's assumptions and convictions. It is the Greek text itself
>that
>is our focus, and whatever we may think about the logic of the Greek
>language's construction (Personally, I think it's one of the most
>rational
>languages in the world, but I also think it has some strange
>anomalies), it
>seems to me that the issue in this thread has become "How one should
>read
>the Bible" rather than "How we should understand a particular Greek
>text--whether in its narrow or in its broad context--in the Bible."

Well, yes. I happen to believe there is as much internal consistency in
the written revelation as there is in natural revelation, both being the
work of an internally consistent and perfect God. This is my basic
assumption. It would be nice, I suppose, if we knew the assumptions of
the contributors. Sure would save a lot of time and effort. I have no
objection here to doing something like that, Carl.

Please accept my apologies, once again. I'd be happy to dialogue with
you further on our assumptions, if that is of interest to you. If not, I
will respectfully honor your wishes and not bother with futile attempts
to reason with you.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Paul S. Dixon