Re: EKKLHSIA

Tue, 8 Jul 1997 19:52:38 -0400

At 2:24 PM -0400 7/8/97, Steve_Rives@instinet.com wrote:
>EKKLHSIA (I hope I spelled it right)
>
>I have heard that this word means: "the called out ones", "church",
>"congregation", etc.
>
>However, I have recently heard that this word could mean "a group of people
>who guard the walls of a city, fort or castle". Have any of you heard this
>definition? Is it from Classical Greek?

EKKLHSIA is the classical Attic Greek word for the assembly of free-born
male citizens; during the period of the democracy it was the fundamental
legislative and deliberative body; other words were used in other
polis-communities, including AGORA even (the Homeric word for "gathering,"
the later word for market-place). It does derive from EK-KALEW, "to call
out, summon" and so will, in fact, mean the assembly of those summoned.

At some point in the course of translation of the OT books into Greek
(those who know can better estimate approximately when) the word was used
to translate the Hebrew QAHAL, "assembly" or "congregation." It's my
understanding that EKKLHSIA became the natural NT Greek word to use for a
congregation. My impression is that the theological speculation on the
relationship of the NT word EKKLHSIA to the verb EKKALEW is really more
speculative than historical.

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243