Re: James 1:13

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 97 09:13:32 EDT

> From: "Paul S. Dixon" <dixonps@juno.com>
> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 01:08:50 EDT
>
> 2) Verse 14 gives the contrast (DE) with 13a. The individual is not
> tested by God (13a). He is tested when he is drawn up by his own lusts
> and enticed (14). Does this not seem strange? First of all, it is clear
> that we are tested by God (Gen 22:1). Secondly, does scripture ever say
> we are tested any other way? I don't think so. If your thesis is
> correct, then are tested in at least two ways: by God, and by our lusts
> and desires.

I will cavil with the last phrase. James 1.14 doesn't necessarily say
that we are being tested _by_ our lusts and desires. It seems
to me that the hUPO goes better with the present passive
participles, so that it's better to read

each [person] gets tested [while] being dragged away and
seduced by his own longings.

One can then draw a distinction between the longings, which
are dragging us away and seducing us, and whoever or whatever
is testing us in the midst of that process -- perhaps God.

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com

"We all work with partial information."