RE: "ARAMAIC, GREEK..."

Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:08:14 -0600

Dear Julio,

While I am unaware that all of the Fathers you mention claim that
Matthew wrote his gospel in Hebrew, I am aware that Jerome made such
claim. Here is a specific quote by Jerome, of the fourth and fifth
centuries C.E.:

"Matthew, who is also Levi, and who from a publican came to be an
apostle, first of all composed a Gospel of Christ in Judaea in the
Hebrew Language and characters for the benefit of those of the
circumcision who had believed. Who translated it after that in Greek is
not sufficiently ascertained. Moreover, the Hebrew itself is preserved
to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr Pamphilus so
diligently collected. I also was allowed by the Nazarenes who use this
volume in the Syrian city of Beroea to copy it."
--De viris inlustribus
(Concerning Illustrious Men), chapter III.
(Translation from the Latin text edited by E.C.Richardson and published
in the series "Texte und Untersuchungen zur Geschichte der
altchristlichen Literatur," Vol. 14, Leipzig, 1896, pp. 8,9)