Re: Many of the Galatians witnessed the Crucifixion

Brian Lantz (lancelot@access1.net)
Thu, 10 Jul 97 21:50:57 PDT

----------
> On Tue 8 Jul 97 (22:00:53), lancelot@access1.net wrote:
> >ÊTransl:
> >Ê"Before whose eyes was Christ made a public record (as)
> >Êexecuted on a cross stake"
>
> Brethren and Masters:
>
> W ANOHTOI GALATAI, ... hOIS KAT' OFQALMOUS IHSOUS CRISTOS PROEGRAFH
> ESTAURWMENOS (Galatians 3:1)..
>
> Is it possible that we have here a Semitism? In Hebrew the phrase LiPhNeY
> "before the face of" is used to mean "in someone's presence". This is
> quoted from Malachi 3:1 /uphinnah-derek lephanay/, etc in Mark 1:2 IDOU
> APOSTELLW TON AGGELON MOU PRO PROSWPOU SOU, ktl. Luke has it PROPOREUSHi GAR
> ENWPION KURIOU, ktl (Luke 1:76)..
>
> ISTM that Lightfoot is correct in paraphrasing "Christ's death in vain?
> O ye senseless Gauls, I placarded Christ crucified before your eyes. You
> suffered them to wander from this gracious proclamation of your King..."
> (JB Lightfoot, /Galatians/, p 133)..

The text usage of PPI of prographo cannot possibly be translated
"I placarded Christ" , not even in the most licensed sense.

The Romans "placarded" Christ, not Paul. But otherwise the concept of the Galatians witnessing this "placarding"
is very much there.

> Paul the Semite uses the Semitic /Liphneikhem/, before you, as 'before your
> very eyes'. The Galatians were earwitnesses of Paul's preaching, not
> eyewitnesses of Christ's crucifixion. Paul must have been a very graphic
> presenter: OU GAR EKRINA TI EIDENAI EN hUMIN EI MH IHSOUN CRISTON KAI TOUTON
> ESTAURWMENON (1 Corinthians 2:2)..

I don't see the grammatic correlation between kata opthal... ois and liphane at all. There are two many other ways that the LXX will translate liphane. I don't find Paul to be that careless with voice, regarding prographo. But thankyou for your consideration all the way from the U.K..

Regards,
Brian L.