Re: Ephesians 5:14

Jim Beale (eghx@gdeb.com)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:32:02 -0400

On Jul 11, 9:38am, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> > TA DE PANTA ELEGXOMENA hUPO TOU FWTOS FANEROUTAI,
> > PAN GAR TO FANEROUMENON FWS ESTIN.
> >
> >It would be strange for FANEROUMENON to have an active sense given
> >that FANEROUTAI is definitely passive. Light is the agent that
> >exposes/reproves TOIS ERGOIS TOIS AKARPOIS TOU SKOTOUS.
>
> To me, though, a middle sense seems possible, since there is no explicit
> agent for FANEROUMENON: "but all that reveals itself is light". In this
> case, the contrast between the passive sense of FANEROUTAI and the middle
> sense of FANEROUMENON would be central to the meaning of the verse. As I
> pointed out in an earlier message, I think that the middle interpretation
> also fits the context best.

But the conjunction between the clauses is not 'DE' but 'GAR'.
Therefore, "PAN TO FANEROUMENON FWS ESTIN" ought to be seen
as giving a reason for "TA DE PANTA ELEGXOMENA hUPO TOU FWTOS
FANEROUTAI."

The translation,

But everything which is reproved by the light is made
manifest, because all that reveals itself is light.

doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I fail to see how
your interpretation of the latter clause gives a reason for
the former. How do you see this working? (I need more light;)

Jim

--
 Reason #173 to fear technology...

Mr. Asciihead learns the Macarena.