Re: EIMI and Time (for the second year)

Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:01:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Rolf Furuli wrote:

> The question we are discussing appeals to emotions because whether or not
> Jesus is eternal is so central for christology. I suggest no flame war -
> but a discussion as collegues, based upon language.
>
> The syllogism goes like this: Time started in the beginning (when the
> universe was created). Jesus was in the beginning. Thus Jesus is eternal.

If we are really going to engage in a discussion based upon the language
of the text, particularly Jn 1:1, it seems important that we note that
John 1:1 says nothing about JESUS being "eternal", but only the LOGOS.
There is nothing in the text of Jn 1:1 (or even anywhere else in the
Prologue) that suggests that the historical personage Jesus of Nazareth
was "in the begining" with God.