Re: Aorists in 'performative-type' expressions?

Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:27:50 -0400

At 11:55 AM -0400 7/21/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 11:58 AM 7/21/97 -0400, Rod Decker wrote:
>
>>Actually my broader search is for examples of aorist forms that might be
>>taken as references to 'instaneous' or 'punctiliar' events in present time.
>>This would not be a usual use or the aorist, but perhaps legitimate in
>>certain contexts?
>
>How about this one?
>
>Luke 16:4 EGNWN TI POIHSW!

After more modem trouble that knocked me out of touch with e-mail for
several more days, I am back and trying to catch up. Upon noticing this, I
am wondering if this isn't out of the same concerns that led to last week's
discussion of the form IATAI in Mk 5:19, i.e.: KAI EUQUS EQERAPEUQH ... KAI
EGNW TWi SWMATI hOTI IATAI APO THS MASTIGOS. For EGNW here certainoly falls
into this category of 'instantaneous' or 'punctiliar' events in present
time, doesn't it--and the more so if IATAI really is a present rather than
a perfect tense?

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243