Re: Matt 18:18 + vv. 19,20

Nichols (nichols@wcc.net)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:10:23 -0500

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> (c) Finally, I want to say that it seems to me that two factors are clearly
> discernible in Mt 18 as a whole--in the chapter on Church Discipline: (a)
> the authority of excommunication does indeed lie within the earthly
> leadership of the church, but (b) the Jesus of this chapter so
> circumscribes and warns against the use of that authority against
> individuals that one might do well to avoid ever exercising that authority
> even though it is in one's (collective) hands: better to bring the lost
> sheep back than to dismiss him/her forever from God's flock. That is
> consistent with another theme in Matthew's eschatological teaching: that
> judgment (i.e. condemnation) is a privilege of God and Christ, not one that
> the individual or perhaps even the church community should deign to
> exercise; moreover, in the parable of good grain and weeds, it is suggested
> that one not endeavor to root out the weeds in the acres of God's harvest
> but leave them for the Harvester to dispose of as He sees fit.

Carl, Paul, et al,

Carl refers to God's privilege with regard to judgment. Indeed, this rest exclusively
within His wisdom. May it be suggested though, that an additional 2 verses be added
with the intent of accomplishing God's ultimate will. Accordingly, since the church
cannot bind persons or souls, the direction of the admonishing to bind on earth and
Heaven must be aimed at satan. He who would steal kill and destroy, can be bound and
then God's grace can be loosed. When the two or three of verse 20 agree for the soul of
the one who has become heathen and publican, Jesus the future judge of us all unites in
our midst.