Re: 1 co 1.3

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:40:38 -0400

At 03:55 PM 8/12/97 -0400, GentlJoe@aol.com wrote:
>1Corinthians 1
>3 carij umin kai eirhnh apo qeou patroj hmwn kai kuriou ihsou cristou
>
>Simple, right?
>Grace/favor to you and peace from God, our father and Master Jesus Christ's.

In other words, you see PATRWS hHMON KAI KURIOU IHSOU CRISTOU as "our
father, and the father of the Lord Jesus Christ". Grammatically, I think
that works.

>So why is this usually translated ...from God our father, and Master Jesus
>Christ?

First off, APO takes a genitive, which is why QEOU PATROS is genitive. These
translations assume that the APO also applies to Jesus, as in CARIS hUMIN
KAI EIRHNH APO PATRWS hHMWN KAI [APO] KURIOU IHSOU CRISTOU.

Since both translations are, I think, grammatically possible, which is more
likely? Well, similar formulations are used in many letters, where they are
less ambiguous. For instance, 2 Thess 1.1 says EN QEWi PATRI hHMWN KAI
KURIWi IHSOU CRISTWi, and Gal 1.1 says DIA IHSOU CRISTOU KAI QEOU PATROS TOU
EGEIRANTOS AUTON EK NEKRWN. I would guess that these letters are all saying
similar things, so I would tend to side with the traditional interpretation.

>Is there a precedent about how to link genitives? The way usually translated
>to me suggests polytheism.

Please explain - I don't understand why it would suggest polytheism.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com