Re: Anchor: Heb.6:19

Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:04:56 -0400

At 04:14 PM 8/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Observe these three tranlations:

(cited in original)

>I'm concerned with the adjectives "sure" asphalh, "steadfast" bebaion,
>and the adj. ptc. "entering" eiserchomenhn. Do they modify "hope"
>(picked up from v.15) or "anchor"? The KJV leaves the question open;
>the NAB attaches them to "hope;" and the NRS applies "sure" and
>"steadfast" to "anchor," but applies "entering" to "hope."
>
>Both "elpis" "agkura" are feminine, so there is no help there.
>
>IMO, "sure and steadfast" definitely apply to "anchor." They fit
>semantically as well as positionally in the sentence. Further, I see no
>reason to carry the ptc. all the way back to v. 15. I would suggest
>that the anchor is sure, steadfast, and secured within the inner
>shrine. As a real anchor enters the water and attaches to the bottom,
>our hope is an anchor which enters through the veil and attaches to God
>himself.
>
>What do you think?
>
>--
>Lee R. Martin
>Adjunct Faculty in Old Testament and Hebrew
>Church of God Theological Seminary / Cleveland, TN 37311
>Pastor, Prospect Church of God
>Web pages http://www.vol.com/~lmartin/

I think that there is no reason not to understand that the series of three
modifiers apply to the same noun, and that the noun in their clause is
_agkura_, so that your understanding is absolutely reasonable.

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109 910-759-5331 pender@wfu.edu