Re: CHARA

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:50:51 -0400

At 03:17 PM 8/14/97 -0400, James H. Vellenga wrote:

>I don't agree with those
>commentators who say that the "joy" mentioned in this passage
>is (merely) an inner joy that does not necessarily manifest
>itself in evident happiness. The Christians I've known who
>have maintained their commitment in the face of devastating
>losses, ravaging cancer, etc., still have a fundamental
>delight showing through that draws people to them.

Yes, even in the face of need and adversity - which is why Romands 12:8
tells us that when we show mercy, we are to do so with cheerfulness (hO
ELEWN EN hILAROTHTI). What an unusual thing to command!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com