copyright law, pre-1950, subsisting 1978 (?), etc.

Davis Phillips (ddp@mail.utexas.edu)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 08:29:26 -0500

Paul,
and the B-Greek list members,
The question was raised recently by a list member about whether Machen's
book was still covered by copyright. If you are not interested in Copyright
Basics, read no more. . .

I am not a lawyer, but a fairly close reading of the text below leads me to
think that Machen's book probably has a copyright "total term protction of
75 years." (Thus 1923 + 75 = 1998; I don't know what DAY in 1998 the
copyright would expire.) (Paul, this is a follow-up of the note I sent you
a month ago; I finally had opportunity to "check my sources" -- and here it
is:)

Here are some quotes from Copyright Office Circular 1 "Copyright Basics",
Oct 1993 printing, by Copyright Office, Library of congress, Washington,
D.C. 20559-6000.

On page 6: "How Long Copyright Protection Endures... Works Originally
Created and Published or Registered Before January 1, 1978... During the
last (28th) year of the first term, the copyright was eligible for renewal.
The current copyright law has extended the renewal term from 28 to 47 years
for copyrights that were subsisting on January 1, 1978, making these works
eligible for a total term of protection of 75 years... For more detailed
information on the copyright term, write to the Copyright Office and
request Circulars 15, 15a, and 15t."

Also on page 6: "Works originally created on or after January 1, 1978..
[are] ordinarily given a term enduring for the author's life, plus an
additional 50 years after the author's death."

(Note: you might also check with the current publisher and get their opinion.)

Best wishes. Davis Phillips LADDP