Re: IAW Kurios Pantokrator = Jehovah/YHWH?

Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:04:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997 LegoMan07@aol.com wrote:

> While researching in BAGD under "Eimi," there was a reference to PMich 155,3
> (2nd century) hO QEOS hO IAW KURIOS PANTOKRATOR. I think that IAW was a
> Greek transliteration of YHWH in the Koine period as "Jehovah" is an English
> transliteration.
>
> I do not have a reference to PMich. 155 and was hoping that someone could
> give me a reference to where I could find a commentary on this citation.

Mitchel,

Since Jonathan has given you good info on PMich.155, there's no need to do
more on that score. But please know that Jehovah is *not* the English
transliteration of the tetragrammaton (which by the way is YHWH). Rather
it is a guess, and a relatively late, not to mention a *very bad* one, of
how the divine name would have been pronounced, which illegitimately mixes
the vowels of ADONAI (Lord) with the four consonants of the
tetragrammaton.

Or perhaps you have misunderstood what "transliteration" means?