RE: IAW Kurios Pantokrator = Jehovah/YHWH?

Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:35:25 -0600

There is another reference to add to the list of references to IAO, that
of the LXX fragment of Leviticus, 4QLXXLevb. It translates YHWH as IAO
(as opposed to KURIOS in the later LXX fragments) in Le 3:12 and 4:27.
4QLXXLevb was found in Qumran Cave 4 and is dated to the first century
B.C.E. A preliminary report of this manuscript was presented in
Supplements to Vetus Testamentum, Vol. IV, 1957, p. 157.

I have a more recent reference for 4QLXXLevb in "Discoveries in the
Judean Desert IX, Qumran cave 4 IV, 1992" but have not yet looked it
up.

What is interesting here to me is the question of whether or not the
nomina sacra was pronounced during this period (1BC - ?). If the Jews
merely wrote the Tetragrammaton but did not pronounce it, why translate
it as IAO, a pronounceable form? My present view is that the translation
of YHWH into a Greek form is a line of evidence that they did indeed
pronounce the written name in this period. I would be interested in the
results of your research.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams