Re: IAW Kurios Pantokrator = Jehovah/YHWH?

Robert J. Petry (Ambassador@sisna.com)
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:14:36 -0700

Rolf Furuli wrote:

> Everybody agree that T was pronounced in the first temple period, and
> when
> I asked David if the reason why different groups ceased to pronounce
> it was
> superstition based on Hellenistic influence, my motive was not to hurt
>
> anybodys feelings. But as a basis for our belief it is important to
> know
> WHY the name became viewed as ineffable. The answer to this question
> may
> throw light on the position of Jesus and his followers in relation to
> T and
> whether it has a legitimate place in the NT. In the long run I think
> our
> faith will profit when a strong light illuminates its basis, also when
> we
> need to adjust our faith.

A writer I know has written that the following verse, along with a
couple others, is part of the reason for the idea the Name should not be
pronounced. I believe the context shows this was only a temporary
restriction, as they were handling dead bodies and were unclean at the
time. However, here is the verse: Amos 6:10-11"And a man's uncle shall
take him up, and he that burneth him, to bring out the bones out of the
house, and shall say unto him that is by the sides of the house, Is
there yet any with thee? and he shall say No. Then shall he say, Hold
thy tongue: for we may not make mention of the name of YHWH. (11)For,
behold, YHWH commandeth..."

The other verses speak of not saying the Name when in Egypt.

Bob Petry