Re: The Tetragram (YHWH)

taxis@gte.net
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:27:26 -0500

Otto,

I really have no stance on this issue, and I shouldn't but--however
briefly--into a Norwegain spat; but, a couple of your statements evoked me.

Otto Nordgreen writes on 8/11/97:

> If James considered his rendering OK, why shouldn't we?

What sort of reasoning is this? "If it's good for General Motors, it's good
for the USA?"

> If the tetragram originally was in
> the NT, I find it somewhat amazing that it is not to be found in any single
> NT manuscript (...and there are about 5000 [!] of them...)!

Since the NT writings are a human collection of the religious writings of the
time. Why not consider the hundred-odd other "gospels" and the "Gnostic"
manuscripts as well? Any containing the tetragrammaton may have simply
been selected out (or burned) of the final anthology.

> If the pronunciation - and, indeed, the use -
> of the tetragram was that important, why has YHWH God allowed the tetragram
> to be removed completely from all the early NT mss?

This sort of logic can justify anything, e.g. "If this idea is so
non-sensical, why
does YHWH God allow it to be propagated over the Internet?"

(I feel much better now.)

Will Wagers taxis@gte.net "Reality is the best metaphor."