Re: Jn 1:1, Colwell, Nelson Stdy Bible

Fri, 29 Aug 1997 06:11:02 -0500

At 2:11 AM -0500 8/29/97, Paul S. Dixon wrote:
>Zounds! Colwell's error revisited. This statement clearly reflects the
>erroneous thinking whereby the converse of Colwell's rule is affirmed.
>Only if one assumes that QEOS is definite here can one appeal to
>Colwell's rule. But, then that would be begging the question. The
>question is, what is the significance of the anarthrous predicate
>construction here? It is qualitative, both because of the immediate
>context where QEOS is set in contrast to the qualitative SARZ in a
>similar construction in v. 14, and because of the normal significance of
>the construction in John. Furthermore, if QEOS in 1:1c were definite,
>then this definiteness would point to the preceding TON QEON identifying
>the LOGOS with God the Father. Would this not be Sabellianism and a
>denial of the trinity?

I agree wholeheartedly with the substance of Paul's thesis here and his
complaint about the Nelson Study Bible: that the absence of an article
before QEOS in John 1:1c need not be an indicator that QEOS is definite; I
agree too that I think we should understand QEOS as qualitative, and in
fact, I've always like best the version (was it J. B. Phillips?): "... and
what God was, the Word was."

Methodologically, however, the last sentence bothers me: it seems to imply
that we should judge the meaning and intent of the Greek text in terms of
what later becomes a recognized heresy and in terms of what is later
declared to be right theology. I would think that one ought to determine
first what the Greek text CAN mean, and only then go on to make a judgment
about whether that accords with this or that theological position. That is
to say, I would think that right theology derives from a right reading of
the text, not a right reading of the text from right theology.

But this is an area--the theology of hermeneutics?--or is it the
hermeneutics of theology?--that is not very properly one of B-Greek focus.
It's quite enough, I think, to focus upon what the Greek text can or must
mean on its own terms, and to leave to the theologians to read out the
implications of that meaning.