Re: Lexicon

Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:18:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> >Abbott-Smith, George. _A Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament._ 3rd ed.
> >Edinburgh: T. & T. Clarke, 1937.
>
> What does the word "manual" mean in this context? What is a manual lexicon?

I think there is a play on words here between a "handbook" and a book
that fits in one's hand, since the AS lexicon is larger in size than the
Souter Pocket Lexicon (which really could fit into a large-ish pocket)
and smaller than the 8 x 11 x 3 inches that characterize the
standard lexicons such as Cremer, Thayer, and BAGD.