Re: Copy of message sent earlier on Lexicons

Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:16:42 -0400 (EDT)

Paul:

To help you I would recommed two tools,

Fee, Gordon D. _New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and
Pastors._ Rev. ed. Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster/John Knox, 1993.

Alsop, John R. _An Index to the Revised Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich Greek Lexicon,
2nd ed., by F. Wilbur Gingrich and Frederick W. Danker._ Grand Rapids:
Zondervan, 1981.

Fee's book will walk you through an BAGD article and tell you how to use it

Alsop is an index that makes BAGD a joy to use for the novice

At 08:31 AM 8/14/97 -0000, you wrote:
>Edward,
>
>I was privileged to have about 4 semester of NT Greek as part of my
>Pastoral minor at Bible College. Since then I have tried to keep pace with
>it by use, but it is an uphill battle since the pastoral life calls for
>"expertise" and expenditure of energy in so many areas.
>
>Bauer's has always been something of a mystery to me. I have asked this
>question before, and received helpful advice. However, can you suggest how
>a moderate, somewhat rusty, student can approach this lexicon and get some
>use out of it. I think that I can work my way through the info and
>understand what is there, but how to interpret its significance, there's
>the rub! For instance, how, from all of the alternatives, does one decide
>how the word you are investigating should be interpreted in your own
>passage? It is especially difficult with the extra-biblical texts cited,
>and to which one may not have access, to appreciated their significance for
>the immediate context under consideration. (I think, even as I ask, you are
>going to tell me that there are no short-cuts!) I need some sort of a map!
>
>Paul F. Evans
>Pastor
>Thunder Swamp Pentecostal Holiness Church
>MT. Olive
>
>E-mail: evans@esn.net
>Web-page: http://ww2.esn.net/~evans
> -------------
>
>> I will make the same recommendation that I have made again and again on
>> this List: ABOVE ALL OTHER STUDENTS, first-year students need to use
>(and
>> preferably to own) Bauer's Lexicon (and let's call it Bauer's lexicon--
>> Arndt and Gingrich were only translators; we do not say "Crime and
>> Punishment" by Constance Garnett!).
face="Arial">Edward,<br><br>I was privileged to have about 4 semester of NT
Greek as part of my Pastoral minor at Bible College. &nbsp;Since then I have
tried to keep pace with it by use, but it is an uphill battle since the
pastoral life calls for &quot;expertise&quot; and expenditure of energy in
so many areas.<br><br>Bauer's has always been something of a mystery to me.
&nbsp;I have asked this question before, and received helpful advice.
&nbsp;However, can you suggest how a moderate, somewhat rusty, student can
approach this lexicon and get some use out of it. &nbsp;I think that I can
work my way through the info and understand what is there, but how to
interpret its significance, there's the rub! &nbsp;For instance, how, from
all of the alternatives, does one decide how the word you are investigating
should be interpreted in your own passage? &nbsp;It is especially difficult
&nbsp;with the extra-biblical texts cited, and to which one may not have
access, to appreciated their significance for the immediate context under
consideration. (I think, even as I ask, you are going to tell me that there
are no short-cuts!) &nbsp;I need some sort of a map!<br><br>Paul F.
same recommendation that I have made again and again on <br>&gt; this List:
&nbsp;ABOVE ALL OTHER STUDENTS, first-year students need to use (and
lexicon--<br>&gt; Arndt and Gingrich were only translators; we do not say

Kevin W. Woodruff
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.