Re: Machen's textbook

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Tue, 05 Aug 1997 14:38:07 EDT

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 07:40:07 -0400 Rod Decker <rdecker@bbc.edu> writes:
>In orig. msg., "Subscribe now to free Greek class on net" it was said:
>
>>In the meanwhile, if you have not purchased Machen's book, "New
>Testament
>>Greek for Beginners" you should try to do so by Sept 1. It costs
>around
>>$43 (the price I was quoted when I called the local Christian
>bookstore
>>last week). Paul Nanson is putting the book on-line and assures me
>that
>
>I heard recently that Machen was being reprinted at a less
>objectionable
>price, I think by Kregel.
>
>I must admit that I'm not sure why anyone would choose Machen with the
>newer options available. Familiarity might be the only reason. Machen
>served its generation well, but I think it has been superceeded.

Rod:

One very practical reason is that the copyright on Machen's book is
expired. Thus, it can be put online without any problems. Know of any
of the newer options like that? And, yes, it is tried and proven. Also,
do you know of any new discoveries (last 75 years) affecting the
knowledge and learning of first year NT Greek?

Thanks,

Paul Dixon