Re: Revelation 3:4 OLIGA ONOMATA

Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:25:23 -0500

At 3:23 PM -0500 8/26/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Rev 3:4 ALLA EChEIS OLIGA *ONOMATA* EN SARDESIN hA OUK EMOLUNAN TA IMATIA
>AUTWN
>But you have a few "names" en Sardis who have not soiled their clothing.
>
>This caught my attention. ONOMATA, meaning literally "names", is used to
>refer to people here. This usage also shows up in Acts 1:15:
>
>Acts 1:15 HN TE OChLOS *ONOMATWN* EPI TO AUTO hWSEI hEKATON EIKOSI
>And the crowd of "names" gathered together were about 120.
>
>In each of these verses, "name" is used as a synonym for a person. How
>common is this usage? Does this have ramifications for our understanding of
>the phrase "in the name of Jesus"? If we believe in the name of Jesus, is
>this the same as believing in Jesus?

It seems to me that sometime in recent months we discussed the passage in
Acts. I recollect checking that in Louw-Nida and finding this usage of
ONOMA is a Semitism, but my reference books are at the office and I can't
re-check it.

I think we've talked about the second matter also, belief in the NAME. I
don't think this bears any direct relation to the former, idiomatic, usage
deriving from Semitic practice. Here a check of the archives would be in
order, if, as I think, the discussion was back prior to June.