Re: Re: Romans 12:2a translation

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@mailhost.viewlogic.com)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 11:11:52 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:12:12 -0400 (EDT)
> From: CEP7@aol.com (Charles Powell)
>

> In a message dated 8/6/1997 8:35:46 PM, cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu wrote:
>
> <<I would deem both verbs middle/reflexive; as I have indicated in the past,
> I would really rather not ever use the word "deponent." I can understand
> why some might want to consider METAMORFOUSQE a passive, and I think it
> almost comes out the same way as I view it, but nevertheless I think the
> sense of METAMORFOUSQE is not "be transformed" but "let yourself be
> transformed"--Yes, the transformation is God's doing, but the commitment is
> on the part of the believers whom Paul is addressing.>>
>
> Carl,
>
> How are you seeing the use of the middle voice. A direct middle would be
> tranlated "transform yourselves." Your translation seems more of a passive
> sense. I see little difference between "be transformed" and "let yourselves
> be transformed."
>
> Charles Powell
> DTS

My own opinion is that "get Xed" is often a good first approximation
to the middle voice -- here, "don't get conformed ... but get transformed."
This adds an equivalent ambiguity in the English -- there's an
atmosphere of both active and passive in it, an intentional
cooperation in being acted upon.

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com

"We all work with partial information."