Re: Romans 8 and FRONHMA

Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:13:48 -0500

taxis@gte.net wrote:

> Boy, this is quite a passage. There's enough here to spawn a hundred
sects
> and to justify any course of action. There's also a great deal of food
for
> Gnostics. It would take a lot of study before I'd go too far out on
> a limb, but it seems to me that there is no notion here of the
volition of
> the human individual as Eric assumes ("the [human] mind set on the
> Spirit"). Rather, the inevitable "wills" involved are those of the
Flesh,
> Spirit, and God.

> Will Wagers taxis@gte.net "Reality is the best metaphor."

Actually, Will, I was making the point that I DISAGREED with versions
that translate this passage as "the [human] mind set on the Spirit" -
e.g., NASB. I argued that based on Romans 8:27 and BAGD's description of
these passages' use of FRONHMA as "subjective genitives" that a
translation of 8:6 and 8:7 consistent with 8:27 would result in
translating 8:6 and 8:7 as "the flesh's mind/purpose/will" and "the
Spirit's mind/purpose/will."

--
"Eric S. Weiss"
http://home1.gte.net/eweiss/index.htm