Re: Trembling at the threshold of Philippians 1:18

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 01:05:16 EDT

Well put, Jim. Another way of saying it is, the ends don't justify the
means. I recall that Moses struck the rock and water came out. Some
might have thought that what he did in striking the rock was justified
because the consequence was the same as when he spoke to the rock, i.e.,
blessed with water coming forth. Yet, Scripture tells us he was
forbidden from entering the promised land because of his disobedience
here.

The point is God's power and grace can bring good in spite of our
weaknesses and disobedience, and we dare not deduce from the results that
our behavior in the process is condoned.

A lot of what is being done these days claims biblical support, but as
you rightly address, often the support is from misinference.

Rather, the point of the whole verse, particularly in the context of the
whole epistle, is declared sufficiently by the rest of the verse:

KAI EN TOUTWi CAIRW. ALLA KAI CARHSOMAI.

In spite of the motives of others, whether good or evil, Paul had learned
to rejoice and he would continue to rejoice because of the good he saw
coming out of it. Rather than deduce that the motives or methods of
evangelism don't matter, let's conclude what Scripture tells us, that we
should learn to rejoice in all things. God is indeed at work!

Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Ladd Hill Bible Church
Wilsonville, Oregon
http://users.aol.com/dixonps