Re: Particle with the Vocative

Martin Arhelger (martin.arhelger@metronet.de)
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:17:57 +0200

C. W. Conrad wrote:
> >I saw this when you first posted it, Mike, and scratched my
head. It may be
> >true that there's a difference between vocative with and
without the W, but
> >I really am rather skeptical. I'd like to see some real
evidence, and I am

J. Robie wrote:

> I notice that my Gramcord notes, the wonderful grammatical
commentary
> associated with the Gramcord program, has the following
comment:

> <start quote>
>
> Special Notes:
>
> I. The reader of the English Bible will notice that sometimes
the word "O"
> (transliterating
> the Greek w\ ) precedes the person being addressed (e.g.,) #
Matt 15:28 This
> is the Hellenistic and Koine Greek way of indicating Emphatic
Address. Thus
> the Vocative without "O" preceding it is Simple Address. This
rule is
> followed everywhere in the New Testament except Acts, where
Luke follows the
> Classical rules for Vocative, which are exactly the opposite
from the Koine
> rules. Thus in Acts "O" precedes Simple Address
> # Acts 1:1; cf., Luke 1:3 but is lacking in front of Emphatic
Address.

> <end quote>
>

> Jonathan

I don't doubt that the NT particle "W" is used in a situation
where the speaker is more passionate than generally. This use is
clearly indicated in the LXX, where "W" is often the translation

- of a anxious or threatening "OI" or "HOJ" (= woe!) or "AHAH"
(= alas!) Examples: Numb 24:23; 2 Kings 3:10; 6:5; 6:15; Isa
6:5; Jer 22,13; 23:1; Eze 24:6; 34:2; Nah 3:1; Hab 2:9; 2:15;
Zep 3:1; Zec 11:17. See also Dan 6:21.

- especially of an impassioned form of address. Examples: 2 Macc
7:34; Sir 37:3; and compare with Act 13:10 and Math 17:17; Luk
24:25; Gal 3:1; 1 Tim 6:11; 6:20

- of an address using reference and respect. Examples: Wisd 6:9;
Dan 5:16; 1 Es 3:24; 4:2; 4:12; 4:32; and compare with Act 1:1.

You may compare also the grammar of Blass & Debrunner (in my
German edition it is 146) and the dictionary of Bauer.

Older German translations of the Bible habitually translate the
Greek "W" with the German "o!", a interjection of joy, longing,
fear or fright but also of reference or respect.

| |
| Martin Arhelger |
| D-53121 Bonn |
| Germany |