Re: Acts 2:38

Bud Brown (budman@sedona.net)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:27:49 -0700

A couple of points to bear in mind on this verse:

#1 - The verbs <imperatives> address two groups

- METANOHSATE is second person, plural.
- hUMWN <TWN hAMARTIWN hUMWN> is second person, plural.

- BAPTISQHTW is third person, singular.

Some have suggested that the first command is addressed to Peter's entire
audience; the second to those who obey the first command. I recall a mentor
and friend paraphrasing it thus: "Y'all repent and y'all's sins will be
forgiven and y'all 'l receive the gift of the Spirit; and let him who
repents be baptized in the name of Jesus."

#2 - Be sure to avoid logical fallacy

Repentance + Baptism = Forgiveness is TRUE
Repentance + Elks Membership = Forgiveness is TRUE
Repentance + BMW ownership = Forgiveness is TRUE
Repentance - BMW ownership = Forgiveness is TRUE
Repentance - Elks Membership = Forgiveness is TRUE
Repentance - Baptism = Forgiveness is TRUE
Repentance alone = Forgiveness is TRUE

Biblical case in point: Mark 16:16.