Re: AGAMOS in 1 Cor. 7

David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:42:16 -0400

At 01:44 AM 10/10/97 -0400, A. Brent Hudson wrote:

>We must determine a word's meaning based on its usage at the time. Jim
>West used the word 'atheist' as an example of alpha privative, but a
>similar word, 'agnostic', points in a different direction. Based on its
>component parts, it would mean "un-knowing" but it's general usage points
>us to a more specific meaning: "un-knowing as to the existence of God".
>Alpha privative surely is everything Jim says it is in most cases; however,
>words can develop beyond the meanings of their constituent parts and
>perhaps this is the case with AGAMOS.

I did give some thought to trying to come up with an example like
that and even paged through some of the dictionary under "A". I knew there
must be some word that would illustrate the precedence of *usage* over
component parts. Hats off to Brent for a very pertinent illustration.

David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA
Southeastern Spanish District of the A/G Dept. of Education
E-mail: dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com
Home Page: http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore