Re: H HAINH DIAQHKI. NOVUM TESTAMENTUM GRAECUM. Wilson, 1822

Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:48:08 -0500

At 11:51 AM -0500 10/13/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I have a GNT that my father picked up which I would like to identify.
>
>The title page reads:
>
>H KAINH DIAQHKI.
>NOVUM TESTAMENTUM GRAECUM.
>AD EXEMPLAR
>ROBERTI STEPHANI ACCURATISSIME EDIUM.
>
>Cura P. Wilson, L.L.D.
>Coll. Columb. Neo-Eboracen. Prof. Emer.
>
>STEREOTYPIS HAMMONDI WALLIS, NOVI EBORACI
>
>HARTFORDIAE
>APUD OLIVERUM D. COOKE ET FILIOS.
>1822.

I think this means that this text follows very closely the Stephanus
Renaissance edition of Erasmus' edition of the GNT, that it was prepared by
Professor Emeritus P. Wilson of what is now Columbia University in New
York, that it was printed at the presses of Hammond Wallis in New York, and
that the publisher is Oliver D. Cooke & Sons of Hartford, CT, date of
publication 1822. For the Stephanus printings of Erasmus' GNT see Metzger,
_The Text of the New Testament_, pp. 103-104. The Parisian publisher was
actually named Robert Estienne, but is better known by the Latin form of
his name, Stephanus.