Re: Jn 2:4, TI EMOI KAI SOI, GUNAI;

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:30:14 -0400

At 01:37 AM 10/15/97, Ben Crick wrote:
>On Tue 14 Oct 97 (11:40:48), dixonps@juno.com wrote:
>>ĘDoes anybody have any helpful insights as to the meaning of these words
>>Ęspoken by Christ to His mother in Jn 2:4, TI EMOI KAI SOI, GUNAI?
>
> TI EMOI KAI SOI is a translation of the Hebrew /MaH-LLiY WaLaKh/. This is
> the Covenant invocation, whereby one covenanter reminds the other "We have
> a covenant, you and I". See it in 1 Kings 17:18; 2 Kings 3:13; 2 Chronicles
> 25:31 (in Hebrew); Mark 1:24, 5:7; Luke 4:34, 8:28; and John 2:4 (Greek).

Are you saying that the unclean spirits in Mark 1:24, Mark 5:7, Luke 4:34,
and Luke 8:28 had a covenant with Jesus?

Mark 1:23 (KJS) And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean
spirit; and he cried out,
24 Saying, Let [us] alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of
Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy
One of God.
25 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him.

And in 1 Kings 17:18, I don't really see that the context indicates that the
woman is alluding to a covenant:

1Kin 17:17 (KJS) And it came to pass after these things, [that] the son of
the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so
sore, that there was no breath left in him.
18 And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God?
art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son?
19 And he said unto her, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom,
and carried him up into a loft, where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed.

The 2 Kings 3:13 quote seems to clearly indicate that Elisha is saying quite
literally, "I'm not your guy, go to the other prophets":

2Kin 3:13 (KJS) And Elisha said unto the king of Israel, What have I to do
with thee? get thee to the prophets of thy father, and to the prophets of
thy mother. And the king of Israel said unto him, Nay: for the LORD hath
called these three kings together, to deliver them into the hand of Moab.

I'm afraid that I don't see any indication that TI EMOI KAI SOI and the
Hebrew equivalent in these verses is
"the Covenant invocation, whereby one covenanter reminds the other "We have
a covenant, you and I"."

Am I missing something?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie