Rienecker--warning--commercially tainted :-)

James Ernest (JErnest@hendrickson.com)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:31:08 -0400

I agree with Jonathan that Zerwick-Grosvenor was more useful than
Rienecker-Rogers, esp. because of the free-standing Zerwick-Smith
grammar to which it was keyed, a fine intermediate grammar for
NT students. I have no information about the new edition of Rienecker
Rogers that he mentions; I see it at Amazon, but the Zondervan web
page does not note it, as far as I can tell. Presumably it's just a
little
behind schedule, which is not a shocking thing in this field.

I do know that after reprinting Rienecker basically unchanged for
decades, the German publisher has recently replaced it with a successor
by a pair of well-credentialed scholars that constitutes a massive
improvement and (in my biased [read the next sentence] opinion) deserves
to be recognized as the state-of-the-art in that genre. Only one volume
of the German is available to date; and the English translation of that,
which is being prepared under my supervision by Hendrickson Publishers,
is nowhere near being ready to be advertised. But for this limited
audience
of devoted Greek geeks I don't mind sharing the descriptive copy that
will eventually be used for marketing the book. I have deleted the name
of the translator to preserve his ability to work unpestered by persons
other than ourselves. If you want to read the ad copy, it follows my
sig lines and precedes my quotation of Jonathan's message.

James D. Ernest
Senior editor, academic books, Hendrickson Publishers
Ph.D. cand., Boston College
S-MAIL: c/o Hendrickson Publishers, 140 Summit Street,
P. O. Box 3473, Peabody, MA 01961-3473 USA
FAX: 978/573-8243 PHONE: 978/573-2243
E-MAIL: jernest@hendrickson.com / ernest@bc.edu