Fw: Sentence structure or construction!

Paul F. Evans (evans@esn.net)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:28:41 -0400

List,

In thinking I was posting to the list earlier to day, I found that I had omitted the B-Greek address from the address line.  Jonathan was the only one who received the question.  Please accept my apologies for not paying attention to what I was doing.  Here is a copy of my original post for anyone that might have some enlightenment for a student that seems to have missed out on a solid intermediate Greek foundation.

----------
From: Paul F. Evans <evans@esn.net>
To: Jonathan Robie <jwrobie@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Sentence structure or construction!
Date: Thursday, October 16, 1997 8:12 AM

List,

Jonathan's questions and observations prompt me to ask a question about sentence structure in Greek.  Is there any?!  What I mean is, what is the basic recognizable sentence structure?  How does a Greek writer go about constructing his sentence?   In English we more or less construct the sentence in a particular way, but I have never heard anyone talk about this in Greek (of course I may have been asleep in that class).

If I have perceived what I have learned correctly, in Greek the sentence is much less important than the paragraph.  Does that effect the way Greeks construct their sentences, so that they frame them with a larger perspective in mind?

If this is a dumb question, please forgive me, and put it down to only having had one cup of tea this morning so far!

Paul F. Evans
Pastor
Thunder Swamp Pentecostal Holiness Church
MT. Olive

E-mail: evans@esn.net
Web-page: http://ww2.esn.net/~evans