Call me BARBAROS (was: Sentence structure or construction!)

Revcraigh@aol.com
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 15:00:57 -0400 (EDT)

>>List,
>>
>>Jonathan's questions and observations prompt me to ask a question about
>>sentence structure in Greek. Is there any?!

<SNIP>

>hO PUER FEREI TO BIBLION means the same thing as FEREI TO BIBLION hO PUER
or
>TO BIBLION hO PUER FEREI etc. The only difference is one of emphasis. "THE
>BOY caries the book" (the GIRL doesn't), "The boy CARRIES the book" (he
>doesn't KICK it or THROW it), "The boy carries THE BOOK" (not the PENCIL).

<SNIP>

>There are no dumb QUESTIONS. ANSWERS are another thing entirely, however.

Well, sometimes my brain hiccups and my Greek comes out Latin. The *Greek*
word for "boy" is, of course, hO PAIS. This looked just fine when I wrote it.
It wasn't 'til several hours later that my gaf flashed across my brain. I
laughed out loud and my wife bugged me until I explained.