Re: Textual Criticism.

Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:04:16 -0400 (EDT)

just published an autobiography (I *think* he called it "Memoirs of an
Octogenarian"; it's actually not *quite* out yet, but is expected -- so he
told me on Saturday -- any day now; published by Hendrickson). For those
who will be at the AAR/SBL in San Francisco, there will be a special event
honoring him, the annual "Fireside Chat" (where he'll be interviewed by
Beverly Gaventa).

I think the best way to get the basics of textual criticism, by the
way, is still to use his own book, the Text of the NT, now in paperback in
a third edition. For those who are somewhat more advanced, I might
suggest the collection of essays that Mike Holmes and I collected in honor
of Metzger for his 80th birthday, _The Text of the NT in Contemporary
Research: Essays on the Status Quaestionis_ (Eerdmans); these cover all
the major aspects of textual criticism of the NT for those who already
have the basics (e.g., from Metzger's and the Alands' intros).

-- Bart D. Ehrman