Re: Mt 28:19a POREUQENTES

Thomas Bond (lpbond@pldi.net)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:29:06 -0600

Peter Phillips <p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk> wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance but I am just not convinced that it is as easy as
that.
> Couldn't the participle be linked with the other participles rather than

> the imperative. Is it wrong to translate this as "As you go, disciple
all
> peoples..." This would mean that going, baptising and teaching were
> ongoing events whilst the discipling was a one off?

The main difficulty I would have with placing POREUQENTES alongside
BAPTIZONTES and DIDASKONTES is that the later two are present participles
while the former is an aorist -- as is the main verb an aorist infinitive.

And, I can see how POREUQENTES is subordinate to MAQHTEUSATE. But, this
gets at the heart of my question . . .

from Carl Conrad's recent response . . .

> Although an aorist ptc. doesn't ALWAYS refer to time prior to that of the
main verb, it
> generally does. You may note also that the participles in the following
> section are in the present tense. Consequently I'd understand this as
> "After getting on the road, get disciples made, all the time baptizing
and
> instructing them." Sorry I can't reduce this to intelligible rules.

and from Rick Strelan's response . . .

> Two asides on the discussion on Mth 28:19. The command is usually
> understood as being a universal commission - but is there any reason why
it
> could not mean simply "make disciples of all nations" within Matthew's
own
> community, say at Antioch?

Is it possible to understand this, not as an admonition to "go into all the
nations," i.e. into all the world, but rather as an admonition that "after
getting on the road" (note: they ha just come -- EPOREUQHSAN -- to the
place Jesus had indicated) they were to "get disciples made with reference
to all ethnic peoples?" The manner of this "getting disciples made" would
be "at all times baptizing and instructing them." Here, like Rick, I am
not sure a "universal commission" is necessarily indicated. The "going"
could be even the resumption of normal life after having followed Jesus
into a mountain in Galilee. I suppose then, the question I have may be
more specifically the relation of the participle POREUQENTES to the
accusatives PANTA TA EQNH.

By the way, this is an incredibly active, informative, and interesting
list. I'm glad I found it. I've a lot to learn.

Thomas Bond
lpbond@pldi.net