Re: ERWS

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Sun, 02 Nov 1997 06:32:31 -0500

At 11:12 PM 11/1/97 -0500, B Rocine wrote:

>Is the Gk noun ERWS conspicuous in its absence from the NT? One reason I
>ask is because I do not have the experience or tools necessary to tell if
>the word was in common use at the time the NT was penned.

Re: Erws

At least in Homer, ERWS can mean to lust after, to desire. In Homer's Iliad, 3.442, ERWS is used like this:

"But come, let us take our joy, couched together in love; for never yet hath desire (ERWS) so encompassed my soul--nay, not when at the first I snatched thee from lovely Lacedaemon and sailed with thee on my seafaring ships..."

I find this interesting, because I had always thought erotic love, at least in English, meant "taking our joy, couched together in love". (Incidentally, isn't that a wonderful description of sex? Much nicer than "make love", "have sex", etc. Save that phrase and use it on your wife in some romantic setting...) In this passage, the ERWS refers to the desire, not the fulfillment of that desire.

The New Testament uses EPIQUMEW, a verb, for sexual desire. I wonder how much difference there is between having ERWS and EPIQUMEW.

Re: Some amazing search tools

I would like to point out some of the amazing tools that you DO have access to. If you have access to the web, you can see how common a word is in the classical texts of the Perseus library. Go to:

"http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/searches.html"

Choose "morphological search". When you get your result, click on "LSJ Entry". I got these results for "erws":

"http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?lookup=e)/rws"

If you notice, the numbers giving the maxiumum frequency of usage are hyperlinks. The reason that there is a "Max instances" and a "Min instances" is that the parser is not always sure if a particular form is the word you are looking for, so sometimes you have to investigate. Click on one of them, and it takes you to a listing of frequency by author:

"http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/persfreq?lookup=e)/rws&corpus=2.0"

Of course, the frequencies next to each author are *also* hyperlinks; e.g., if you want to see exactly where the word appears in Homer, click on the number next to Homer, and you get this:

"http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/wordsearch?author=hom.&lookup=e)/rws&corpus=2.0"