Re: Acts 10:44

Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 06:03:22 -0500

At 09:36 PM 11/2/97 -0000, Matt Bell wrote:
>'While Peter yes spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which
>heard the word'
>
>Is there anything in the Greek cases, words which would more precisely state
>when the Holy Ghost fell on the people. Was it as Peter was speaking? When
>he had finished speaking? As he began to speak (11:15)? Thanks in Advance
>
>Matt Bell

This question resembles the thread on the force of tenses in participles
that has been running for about a week now. To answer the "case" part of
your query, the "while"-clause in English represents a genitive absolute
construction in Greek: a noun and participle (usually) in genitive case,
representing an attendent circumstance. The first, best guess for an
English translation is a temporal clause (altho' they can represent
causal, concessive or conditional ideas). English occasionally uses
participial constructions in a similar way: "all things being equal....",
"this being the case...."

I am still of the belief that, as a rule of thumb, aorist participles
represent time prior to the main verb and present participles time
simultaneous with the main verb, and I think the exceptions we've looked at
tend to prove this general rule. But it's not necessary to decide that
question in this case because the present participle alone doesn't carry
the burden; the adverb ETI, "still" makes it clear: "while P. was still
speaking....the Holy Spirit fell...."

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109 910-759-5331 pender@wfu.edu