Re: 2 Timothy 2:19

John M. Sweigart (jsweiger@cswnet.com)
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 12:51:25 -0600

Mary L B Pendergraft wrote:

> At 10:02 AM 11/4/97 -0600, John M. Sweigart wrote:
> >Fellow list members;
> >I need help on this verse. What are the options for understanding the
> >word THEMELIOS? Should LITHOS be supplied? What is the force of the
> >perfect tense in hISTHMI? In the case of the inscription/seal, based on
> >the comparison with Numbers 16:5(LXX) can the aorist of GINWSKW be
> >translated in a futuristic sense? i.e. the Lord will recognize,
> >acknowlege those who are his???? What kind of a genitive? Those who
> >belong to Him? Are we justified in translating a resultative KAI before
> >the aorist imperative of APHISTHMI? Sorry to ask so many questions but
> >in this verse eveything seems to be related like a row of dominoes.
> >--
>
> Here are some first-blush thoughts that may be helpful:
>
> THEMELIOS is a noun and apparently can mean "foundation stone" by itself,
> without any other noun.
> The perfect of hISTHMI, according to Bauer et al. can = "I stand"
> I haven't looked long & hard at the Deuteronomy parallel, but it's worth
> remembering that frequently the aorist is the most general tense, the one
> used in proverbs, for example.
> Without a reason to take it otherwise, I'd guess the genitive AUTOU is
> possessive, "his."
> I had imagined that the KAI coordinates two inscriptions on the stone.
>
> Mary
>
> Mary Pendergraft
> Associate Professor of Classical Languages
> Wake Forest University
> Winston-Salem NC 27109 910-759-5331 pender@wfu.edu
Mary;
Thanks for the feedback. OK on themelios. Did I say Deuteronomy? I
meant Number 16:5 (LXX) The context is the Rebellion of Korah. Moses
says something like "Tomorrow the Lord will show, demonstrate EGNW those
who are his". So even though the aorist is used, there is definitely a
futuristic nuance. Now consider the eschatological motifs that are
introduced in 2 Timothy, i.e that Day, HIs appearance and Kingdom,
special honor for vessels of gold, etc. Thus I am leaning toward an
eschatological interpretation of this passage. But I want some definite
critical comments. Also if THEMELIOS can mean "foundation stone" on its
own, do we not have a metaphorical reference to Christ and then the
perfect sense of hISTHMI would be "the solid foundation stone set by God
has stood up, been erested i.e. the resurrection much the same way we
would have a stele set up in the Ancient Near East? the KAI of result
seems almost certain due to the change from the indicative to the
imperative.
--

Rev. John M. Sweigart Box 895 Dover, Arkansas 72837 Cumberland Presbyterian Church __________________________________