Re: Matthew 23.2: EKAQISAN

Mark O'Brien (markus@upnaway.com)
Wed, 05 Nov 1997 08:23:17

At 01:35 PM 11/4/97 EST, you wrote:
<snip>
>At any rate, I'm willing to entertain the idea that an aorist + stative =
>ingressive in some or many cases, but more as a function of pragmatics,
not as
>an essential meaning of the aorist.

This pattern of aorist + stative = ingressive is well-established by
Fanning in his text. This is not an essential meaning of the aorist, but
rather the result of the interaction between the aorist's aspectual
character and the procedural characteristic of stative verbs.

Regards,

M.

-----
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in
praise of intelligence.
-- Bertrand Russell
-----
Rev. Mark B. O'Brien
Assoc. Pastor, Subiaco Church of Christ, Western Australia
Lecturer, South Perth Christian College, Western Australia

markus@upnaway.com