Re: KAI EC hOLHJ THJ DIANOIAJ SOU in Mk 12:30

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@mailhost.viewlogic.com)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 14:04:08 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 18:26:13 +0000
> From: "Brian E. Wilson" <brian@twonh.demon.co.uk>
>
> Mark O'Brien appended the following quotation to his recent posting -
>
> >So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in
> >praise of intelligence.
> > -- Bertrand Russell
>
> Mk 12:30 reads - AGAPHSEIJ KURION TON QEON SOU EC hOLHJ THJ KARDIAJ SOU
> KAI EC hOLHJ THJ YUXHJ SOU KAI EC hOLHJ THJ DIANOIAJ SOU KAI EC hOLHJ
> THJ ISXUOJ SOU
>
> <followed by more commentary>
>
> I would be interested to hear the views of others on the translation of
> KAI EC hOLHJ THJ DIANOIAJ SOU in Mk 12:30.

Brian:

Without commenting on DIANOIAS itself, I also note that Jesus
has much praise for those who are FRONIMOS -- shrewd or prudent
-- including five maids with lamps and a house manager. He
even gently chides his followers-to-be because the children
of this age are more FRONIMOS than they are (although I don't
have the references handy).

Thanks for making us think about the quote.

I suspect that fuller feedback will have to wait till this
week-end. Is this the week that many of our luminaries are
off in San Francisco?

Regards,
Jim Vellenga