Re: Methodist

Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:10:34 -0600

At 10:00 AM -0600 11/6/97, BanjoBoyd@aol.com wrote:
>I had always heard that the term "Methodist" was originally a term of
>derision, making fun of the "methods" these people used for spiritual growth.
> But looking at the Greek word for "Disciple," I wonder, is their any
>connection between "Methodist" and MAQHTHS?

No, absolutely not. MEQODOS, so far as I know, is a compound of META and
hODOS. Offhand I think it was a word invented by or regularly used by
Aristotle for a "line of inquiry." And that's the ultimate source of
English "method," which in turn, I think, underlies the word "Methodist,"
whatever the facts might be about the origin of the word as an appellation
for a group. On the other hand, MAQHTHS meaning "disciple" or "pupil"
derives directly from the verb root for "learn," MAQ that appears in the
common verb for "learn," MANQANW/MAQHSOMAI/EMAQON as well as numerous nouns
(e.g. MAQHMA) and adjectives (e.g. MAQHMATIKOS/-A/-ON).