RE: methodist

Peter Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 08:21:42 -0000

Less of the anti-Methodist jokes guys!

----------
From: Glen Riddle [SMTP:glen1@flash.net]
Sent: 06 November 1997 20:30
To: b-greek@virginia.edu
Subject: methodist

William Banjo-Boyd,
I checked out "Methodist" in Klein's Etymological Dict. of the Engl.
Lang.; orig.
applied to Johnny and Chuck because of their "methodical practices" I
don't know
how many hours a day they practiced on their methodical, or if they had
just one
and had to share time or they each had their own., but,,,"method" comes
from MF
m'ethode, fr. L. methodus fr. Greek methodos "pursuit, scientific
inquiry, method
of inquiry, method" litt. a "going after". from meta and hodos. So, I
guess you
could call them
"Going Afterists". Try that next time you see one and see if they
acknowledge the
greeting.
blessings,
gpr