Re: hIASTHRION in Rom 3/25

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@mailhost.viewlogic.com)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 16:27:11 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:35:00 -0600 (CST)
> From: "F. Holly Mitchell" <mitchell@dobson.ozarks.edu>
>
> Thomas,
>
> > 1. Does anyone happen to have S and H at hand so that s/he can set me
> > straight on what they claim, and how they end up
> > translating/interpreting the verse.
>
> <snip>
>
> But, on the other hand, there is great harshness, not to say confusion, in
> making Christ at once priest and victim and place of sprinkling. Origen it
> is true does not shrink from this.... But although there is a partial
> analogy for this in Heb.... where Christ is both priest and victim, it is
> straining the image yet further to identify Him with the HILASTHRION."
>
> FWIW, it strikes me as confusing and harsh too.

On the other hand, no less a poet and parson-age than John Donne
found similar imagery irresistable in one of his lesser-known gems:

O Holy Ghost, whose temple I
Am, but of muddy walls, and condense'd dust,
And being sacrilegiously
Half wasted with youth's fires of pride and lust,
Must with new storms be weatherbeat;
Double in my heart thy flame,
Which let devout sad tears intend; and let
(Though this glass lanthorn, flesh, do suffer maim)
Fire, Sacrifice, Priest, Altar be the same.

Regards,
Jim Vellenga