Re: MacArthur and Tongues

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 05:05:07 EST

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:30:23 -0600 "Perry L. Stepp" <plstepp@flash.net>
writes:

>For what it's worth:
>
>Eric, you were right the first time. MacArthur is a good preacher, very
>good at application, one of the leading churchmen of our time. But
>when it comes to Greek issues, he's only as good as the sources he uses.
And
>on this point, his sources ain't that good. Great preachers are often
>not-so-great exegetes (see C. H. Spurgeon, Swindoll, Billy Graham, etc.,
as
>well as MacArthur.)

This criticism of John MacArthur is unjust. If you don't agree with his
interpretation, then explain why. That is the issue. We are not here to
cast aspersions on his Greek expertise, especially on the basis of your
disagreement with him on this single matter. If we do this with
everybody, then we will end up belittling everybody else's Greek
expertise, because doubtless we can find something with which to disagree
with just about everybody.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwash, whether the water is
dirty or not.

Paul Dixon