Re: EIS+verb EIS

Don Wilkins (dwilkins@ucr.campus.mci.net)
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 09:46:33 -0800

At 07:27 AM 11/8/97 -0500, Mary L B Pendergraft wrote:
>At 05:05 AM 11/8/97 EST, Paul S. Dixon wrote:
>
>>. Since Luke and Hebrews are perhaps closest to Classical
>>Greek in style, am wondering if this phenomenon (no repetition of the
>>preposition in an EIS+verb construction) is not especially prevalent in
>>Classical Greek. Or, another to put it, is the repetition of the
>>preposition a later development in the Greek language?
>>

>No, it's my impression that it's fairly standard in classical prose and
>less frequent in poetry.

I would agree with Mary. Moreover, if anything, it would be more likely that
the repetition of the preposition (one should always avoid the term
"redundancy" in this context) would tend to decline after the Classical
period. However I have not yet done any serious research into non-literary
Greek of the Classical period, so as far as I know there might be no real
historical trend either way.

Don Wilkins