Re: 2 THESS 2:2-3

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 00:13:17 EST

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 19:49:33 -0500 (EST) RHutchin@aol.com writes:

>We have: 2 Thess 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled,
>neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us,

hWS hOTI ENESTHKEN hH hHMERA TOU KURIOU.

>3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come,
>except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed,
the son >of perdition;

>Does the Greek construction allow for the phrase "hWS hOTI ENESTHKEN
>hH hHMERA TOU KURIOU" to serve as the beginning of v 3 rather than the
>ending of v 2?

The phrase hWS hOTI occurs three times (including here) in the NT. The
other two occurrences are 2 Cor 5:19 and 2 Cor 11:21. It also occurs in
the LXX, but only in Esther 4:14.

In the other three biblical occurrences the phrase is to be taken with
what precedes, not with what follows.

Apparently scholars throughout church history have taken it this in 2
Thess 2:2 (compare the UBS text punctuation notes where the only options
cited are for a major punctuation, a minor punctuation, or a dash, all
after TOU KURIOU and just before verse 3).

Besides, what sense would you make of it, if you took it with verse 3?

Paul Dixon